Secretary/secret n. 秘密
- ① adj. 神经质的，神经紧张的
She is a nervous woman. Do you see that nervous smile on her face?
- ② 紧张的，担心的，情绪不安的
He had never spoken in public, so he was very nervous. nervous adj. 精神紧张的(事情发生时)
worried adj. 担心的(为以后的事情)
upset adj. 不安的 (对以前的事情)
irritable adj. 易怒的，急躁的
Mary is an irritable old lady. She gets angry easily.
- ① vt. 买得起(常与can/can’t连用)afford sth.
- ② vt. 担负得起(损失、后果等)，花得起(时间)(常与can/can’t连用)afford money/time
I can afford the hoilday. (有时间去)
I can only afford one week for the trip.
afford to do sth…
I can’t afford to be ill again. 我不能再病了。
- ③ vt. 提供，给予
Joe afforded us a room for the night.
- disturb v. 打扰某人Sorry to disturb you.
interruption n. 中断，打断
- 1、The secretary told me that Mr. Harmsworth would see me. would在这里不是表示单纯的过去将来时，而是表示“想……”、“要……”的意思：
What would you like to have?
- 2、He did not look up from his desk when I entered.
He looked up (from his book) when he heard a noise.
look down 往地上看(look up的反义词)
look down upon/on sb. 瞧不起某人
- 3、He told me that the firm could not afford to pay such large salaries.
collect salary 领薪水 pay salary 支付薪水
- 4、I knew that my turn had come.
turn n. 轮流，轮班，(依次轮流时各自的)一次机会It is my turn. 轮到我了(口语常用形式)
- 5、‘Mr.Harmsworth,’ I said in a weak voice.
in a … voice 用……的声音
in a loud(大声)/low (低声)/weak(强调心里不踏实)/strong(理直气壮) voice
- 6、Then he smiled and told me I would receive an extra thousand pounds a year!
以下词都可表示 “再, 又” 的意思, 注意用法 :
① an extra thousand(作名词看)
On Sundays, I usually get some extra sleep.
Last month, he was paid an extra hundred pounds.
② two others = two other +名词
③ two more
Give me two extra/other/more books.再给我两本书。
once more: 再一次
④ another three days 另外三天(只有another 的数词在后面)
1、主从一致 : 主句和从句的时态一致
① 主句的动词为一般现在时, 从句为任意时态
② 主句的动词为一般过去时, 从句为相对应的过去时态(时态倒移)
Office, Study, Desk
office n. 办公室 study n. 书房desk n. 课桌
Exercises :1 We shall use the spare room in our new house as a ______ .study
5 Since his illness he has been very ______ . He is always losing his temper. (irritable)